Here are the latest uploads to Google’s Cities in Development section of the 3D Warehouse since my last post.
5 veliavos prie ''Hansa banko'' Klaipedoje
790>28kB codensed model : The 300m tall steel Eiffel Tower was constructed for the Exposition Universelle which was to celebrate the centennial of the French Revolution. It was constructed in 1889 and was the tallest structure in the world until 1930 when it was surpassed by the Chysler Building. With photo-realistic texture, originally modeled by Mason Thrall.(Google) -- This model-file is using the same texture, but 50% reduced resolution, only 16 colors and efficient grouping of elements. The filesize is 28x smaller (28kB instead of 790kB) at 50% level of detail.
[CAT] Adossat a la muralla i porta romanes, en gran part encara conservades, el Palau del Bisbe es construí el s. XII s'amplià el XIII en estil romànic, les úniques restes del qual s'observen al seu pati, àmpliament restaurat a principis del s. XX. Les façanes del carrer del Bisbe i de la plaça Nova són del s. XVIII. *** [ESP] Adosado a la muralla y puerta romanas, en gran medida aún conservadas, el Palacio del Obispo se construyó en el s. XII y se amplió en el XIII en estilo románico, cuyos únicos restos se observan en su patio, ampliamente restaurado a principios del s. XX. Las fachadas de la calle del Bisbe y de la plaza Nova són del s. XVIII. *** [ENG] Attached to the Roman wall and gate, still quite preserved, the Bishop's Palace was built in the 12th c. and enlarged in the 13th in Romanesque style, the only remnants of which can be seen at the courtyard, heavily restored at the begining of the 20th c. Tha façades of Carrer del Bisbe and Plaça Nova (Bishop's Street and New Square) date from the 18th c.
Edificio en colinas de Camacho
Looks like we have a new city added to Cities in Development!
W.D. Petersen Memorial Music Pavilion
"The W.D. Petersen Memorial Pavilion is a concrete structure constructed on a raised stone podium. The structure features beautiful ornamental details that make it a truly outstanding construction. With a decidedly exotic character, the Petersen Pavilion stands seperate from the restrained Classical Revival acrchitecture that, at the time of its construction, surrounded it (i.e. Union Station, Lend-a-Hand building.) The structure features Corinthian columns with twisted-rope shafts, minaret-shaped pinnacles, iron grated windows, and side niches. Decorative pattern work at the roofline is complex and visually active. Many of the decorative details are finished in vivid colors of blue, green, and gold, set in bold contidiction to the neutrality of the stone. The net result is an exotic and timeless beauty, a welcome surprise in this Midwestern river city." Description provided by: qcmemory.org
Union Station and Burlington Freight House
"The Union Station and Burlington Freight House are two freestanding structures adjoined by a wood post and beam shelter. The Union Station is Classical Revival in style, with many elements (created of concrete) used to define the character of the style and lend the sense of timelessness associated with the Classical Revival. A stylized Greek temple front, applied to call attention to the building's primary entrances, dominates the structure's north and south elevations. The temple front features four engaged columns with tapered, square shafts and stylized capitals. The columns support a Classical entablature, complete with dentils, round medallions, and stepped fascia. The heavy cornice introduced by the entablature of the temple front carries around the perimeter of the building. Additional gravitas is created by the use of a heavy foundation, resembling the raised podium of the Greek temple. The Burlington Freight House is a single-story structure, built with the same materials used in the Union Station." Both buildings were constructed in 1924, and are currently listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Information provided by www.qcmemory.org.
3rd and Main Buildings
John O'Donnell Stadium
John O'Donnell Stadium (constructed in 1939 and renovated in 2004) is a ballpark which currently hosts the St. Louis Cardinals class A affiliate 'The Swing of the Quad Cities'. "The body of the stadium is comprised of a crescent shaped central building, featuring an arcaded entrance, with public seating flanking it. The field fans out from the building in a southeasterly direction." (www.qcmemory.com) Scoreboard photo provided by http://unclebobsballparks10.tripod.com/johnodonnellstadium/
First National Bank Building
"The First National Bank Building is a nine-story, steel frame and brick construction, built on a concrete foundation and faced in stone. The bank building features stylistic details evoking the Renaissance Revival, a style that combines classical precedents with forms more strictly associated with the sixteenth century Italian Renaissance. In this building the historic elements of the style, namely the use of Roman-arched openings, fluted pilasters, and classical frieze, are combined with the technological advances of the Chicago School. The result is a restrained and elegant version of what Svendsen (MRA 1983) describes as a 'tall office building.' While the form of the First National Bank Building is restrained, the applied decoration is not. Stone relief panels, the content of which addresses patriot and agrarian motifs, cover the spandrels of the arched openings, and the wall surface of the barrel vaulted entrance. Similar panels of bronze are located over the door of the primary entrance. " www.qcmemory.org. This building is currently known as the US Bank Building and was built in 1923.
Davenport City Hall
"The four-story Davenport City Hall is constructed of sandstone in the monumental style known as the Richardsonian Romanesque. As in this building, the style is generally expressed in stone and commonly integrates elements such as Roman arches, rusticated stone, and towers; all found in the Davenport City Hall. In addition, the building incorporates gable ends and corner towers in a complex, assymmetrical form. The net result is a structure of great mass and visual character. The Davenport City Hall was constructed in 1895 to house the offices of the Davenport city government, after a design by Davenport architect, John W. Ross. The building has functioned in that capacity from the time of its construction. Several additions have been made to the north side of the building. Davenport City Hall was placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Then, as now, the building was considered significant under Criterion A in its association with the history of city government. In addition, the building is considered significant under Criterion C as an important, and increasingly rare, expression of the Richardsonian Romanesque style." (www.qcmemory.org)
Downtown Davenport Public Library
The first public library in Davenport was built in 1904 using various funding, including a $75,000 donation from Andrew Carnegie. After becoming outdated and dilapidated, the Carnegie building was torn down in 1966. "Through the efforts of Library Board president C.D. Waterman, Jr., internationally known architect Edward Durrell Stone, who also designed the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC agreed to design the new library building. The new building design included a large open ground floor with a mezzanine and integrated the new children's wing. The new Davenport Public Library building was dedicated and opened October, 6 1968. While some changes have been made in the interior layout, the library building continues to serve the ever-changing library needs of Davenport citizens." (www.qcmemory.org)
"Holabird & Root's award-winning glass and steel pedestrian bridge is the new destination for residents and visitors of Davenport, Iowa, to experience the Mississippi riverfront. The structure, a distinctive cable-stayed style bridge with 99-foot high columns, spans 575 feet over a parking garage, highway, and heavily used railroad tracks as part of the city's “River Renaissance” redevelopment project. At night, LED lights create a rainbow of colors and penetrate translucent glass panels set into the floor of the walkway, illuminating the streetscape below." (www.holabird.com)
River Music Experience
Parking Garage @ Main and River Drive
Midwest One Bank and Row Building
The Midwest One Bank Building is a 6-story office building built in 1981. The adjoining building was built in the late 19th Century and designed by Architect Frederick Claussen. It was originally designed as "highly ornate, in keeping with the exuberance of the Victorian era." It was given a new facade in 1910, and became the Beiderbecke & Miller Store. The redesign of the facade had influences in the Chicago School. Information and quote provided by www.qcmemory.org
Parker and Putnam Buildings
The Parker and Putnam buildings are two sister structures with a 2 story infill building in between. The Putnam Building (128 W. 2nd Street) was designed by D.H. Burnham & Co. and completed in 1910. The Parker Building (104 W. 2nd Street) was a modified version of the Burnham design by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White and was built in 1922. Both buildings are built on a steel skeleton with red brick exterior. "The Putnam Building was occupied by numerous retail and professional buisinesses over the course of its history. Most notable among them include the Davenport Public Museum's (now the Putnam Museum of History and Natural Science) historical library, located on the eighth floor, the H.E. Scharff Store (c.1928-1956), and the Simon & Landauer Department Store, which occupied a portion of the storefront from 1933-c.1964." The M.L. Parker department store occupied the Parker Building until 1972. Information provided by www.qcmemory.com
3rd and Brady (North Side) Row Buildings
The corner building (302 Brady Street) is the former Scott County Bank Building. It was designed in the Classical Revival style by architectural firm Claussen & Kruse. It was built in 1918. 112 W. 3rd Street (directly to the west of the Scott County Bank) at one time stretched from Brady Street to its current western wall, but part the eastern part of the building was demolished to allow the Scott County Bank Building to be built. Over the years many different businesses have occupied that building including: The Piazza Candy Co. (1920), Posner & Spiedell, clothing (1930), Old Timer (1935), and the El Dorado Club (1940). 114 W. 3rd Street is known as the Donahue Building has elements of the Italian Renaissance Revival, including Roman arched heads and the central projecting pavilion. The building has been home to a turkish bath in the late 19th Century as well as the main offices for the Davenport Water Co. The Donahue Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 116 W. 3rd Street is assumed to have been built in the 1930's. Information provided by www.qcmemory.org
Figge Art Museum
e premte, 24 gusht 2007
Here are the latest uploads to Google’s Cities in Development section of the 3D Warehouse since my last post.