Here are the latest uploads to Google’s Cities in Development section of the 3D Warehouse since my last post.
Dunhua N. Rd Chinatrust Building
Fubon Banking Center
Wieżowce Litewska 24-28, 30-34, 36-40, 42-46
The Centennial Hall (Wroclaw, Poland)
The Centennial Hall is a historic building constructed in Wrocław (Breslau) in 1913 when the city was part of the German Empire. It was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2006. It was in the Lower Silesian capital of Breslau on 10 March 1813 where King Frederick William III of Prussia had first awarded the Iron Cross and called upon the German people in his "Aufruf an mein Volk" to openly resist Napoleon. In October, in the Battle of Leipzig, Napoleon was defeated, but large numbers of Germans fell on both sides, as many had been forced to fight on the French side. The hall was built in the German Empire in 1911–1913 according to the plans of Max Berg, during preparations for an exhibition commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Nations, as it is also called, reminding that most of Europe was involved. The cupola was made of reinforced concrete and with an inner diameter of 69 m and 42 m high; it was the largest building of its kind at the time of construction. The symmetrical quatrefoil shape with a large circular central space seats 6,000 persons. The dome is 23m high, made of in steel and glass. The Jahrhunderthalle , a name also chosen for halls in Bochum (1902) and Frankfurt (1963) for different anniversaries, had been intended to commemorate a 19th century event, but instead became a key reference for the development of reinforced concrete structures in the a 20th century.
Iglesia de Santa María con Torre de Carvajar. Concatredral de Cáceres
Avilés, Asturias, Spain
Casa Alvarin-Precios Unicos
Piedras Blancas, Castrillon, Asturias Spain
Salinas Old Lady
Torre Urquinaona, Barcelona
Tritones Fountain, Forum Boarium, Rome
La Fontana dei Tritoni, opera del 1715 del perugino Carlo Bizzaccheri, fu commissionata da papa Clemente XI durante i lavori di sistemazione per livellare Piazza della Bocca della Verità, che si trovava due metri sopra il piano attuale della chiesa di S. Maria in Cosmedin. Ispirandosi alla stemma del pontefice, disegnò un catino ottagonale con gli otto lati concavi, per formare una stella a otto punte: la stella del papa Albani, nel mezzo, al di sopra di un gruppo di massi, ornati di erbe acquatiche, ed anch'essi di travertino come tutto il complesso della fontana, si innalzano due possenti tritoni, inginocchiati e con le code intrecciate. I due tritoni, che si volgono la schiena, con le braccia sollevate sostengono sulle spalle una tazza a forma di conchiglia di mare aperta, dalla quale fuoriesce l'acqua e sul cui bordo esterno è scolpito lo stemma dello stesso pontefice, tre monticelli sovrastati da una stella.
Arch of Janus
The Arch of Janus is the only quadrifrons triumphal arch preserved in Rome, across a crossroads in the Velabrum-Forum Boarium. It was built in the early 4th century of spolia, possibly in honour of Constantine I or Constantius II. Its current name is probably from the Renaissance or later and is not ancient. The name is derived from its four-fronted, four-arched structure. In the Middle Ages, the Frangipane family transformed the building into a fortress and so it survived intact up until 1830. Then the attic and top were torn down because they were erroneously believed not to belong to the original structure. Fragments of the dedicatory inscription are still preserved inside the nearby church of San Giorgio al Velabro.
Temple of Hercules Victor, Forum Boarium, Rome
The Temple of Hercules Victor or Hercules Olivarius is an ancient edifice located in the Forum Boarium in Rome. It is is a monopteros, a round temple of Greek 'peripteral' design (surrounded by colonnades on all sides). This layout caused many to mistake it for a temple of Vesta, but it has been determined to be a temple of Hercules. Hercules was a favorite divinity for traders, so it is appropriate that it would be in a forum. Dating from about 120 BC, the temple is 14.8m in diameter and consists of a circular cella within a concentric ring of 20 x 10.66 m tall Corinthian columns resting on a tuff foundation. These elements supported an architrave and roof which have disappeared. The original wall of the cella and the columns remain but the current tile roof was added later. Palladio suggested a dome, though this was apparently erroneous. The temple is the earliest surviving marble building in Rome.
Capitoline Hill, Capitoline Museums - Senatorial Palace, Rome
The Capitoline Hill, between the Forum and the Campus Martius, is one of the most famous and highest of the seven hills of Rome. The Capitoline contains relatively few ancient ground-level ruins, as they are almost entirely covered up by Medieval palaces (now the Capitoline Museums) that surround a piazza. A significant portion of the architecture in this area was designed by Michelangelo. The hill was the site of a temple for the Capitoline Triad, started by Rome's fifth king, Tarquin the Elder. The city legend starts with the recovery of a human skull (the word for head in Latin is caput) when foundation trenches were being dug for the Temple of Jupiter by Tarquin's order. The church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli is adjacent to the square, located near where the ancient arx, or citadel, a top the hill it once stood. The existing design of the Piazza del Campidoglio and the surrounding palazzos was created by famed Renaissance artist and architect Michelangelo Buonarroti in 1536 - 1546. In the middle stood the only equestrian bronze to have survived since Antiquity, that of Marcus Aurelius, the philosopher emperor. A balustrade punctuated by sculptures atop the giant pilasters capped the composition, one of the most influential of Michelangelo's designs. The two massive ancient statues of Castor and Pollux which decorate the balustrades are not the same posed by Michelangelo, which now are in front of the Palazzo del Quirinale.
Hendrick Hamel (Gorinchem 1630 - 1692) was a Dutch bookkeeper with the Dutch East India Company (VOC
Hendrick Hamel (Gorinchem 1630 - 1692) was a Dutch bookkeeper with the Dutch East India Company (VOC) and writer of the ‘Journal’: an account of the unbelievable adventures of the surviving crewmembers of the VOC-ship ‘The Sperwer’, which shipwrecked on a small island off the southern coast of Korea in 1653. Without this ‘Journal’, which has been translated in many languages, Korea would have remained a truly foreign country for centuries longer.
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
The former head office of the Nederlandsche Handel-Maatschappij (NHM) houses nowadays the town file of Amsterdam.
Belém – Brazil
Ponte do outeiro
Edificio Pedro Antonio Lopez
Es uno de los mejores ejemplos de modernización arquitectónica bogotana de la primera mitad del siglo XX: “...estructura de acero atornillada y revestida en concreto, según los dictámenes reglamentarios norteamericanos de la época...”. y uno de los locales más espaciosos construidos. Se dice que “... La solemne pesadez de los cuatro pisos del edificio quizás se deba a que asemeja la base de un rascacielos neoyorquino, al que no se le hubiera construido los pisos superiores...”. La edificación se levantó en el sitio que ocupaba una antiquísima casa bajo las órdenes del arquitecto norteamericano Roberto Farrington. Su sobriedad contrasta con el barroquismo de la fachada de su vecino Palacio San Francisco, actual sede del Banco Cafetero.
Hotel Guarani, Asuncion
Montevideo y Punta del Este Uruguay
Edificio Rodas Parque
One of Midtown Phoenix's most prominent skyscrapers, the 3300 Tower, 29 Stories high, completed in 1980. The simply modern 3300 Tower was designed by world reowned architectual firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP. At 109 meters (356 feet) it is Phoenix's 11th tallest building, 3rd in the Midtown District alone
Great American Tower
The Great American Tower rises 24 floors over Midtown Phoenix and was completed in 1985. The building is roated 45 degrees like its neighbor, the 3300 Tower, giving it a much more prominent look. The builing also has large balconies on the top floor for tenants. At 98 meters (320 feet) its the 17th tallest building in Phoenix.
Phoenix Corporate Center
The Phoenix Corporate Center was completed in 1964, it includes two skyscrapers, one 26 stories high, one 8 stories high. The 26 story high tower was Phoenix's tallest from 1964 to 1971, when it was surpassed by the Wells Fargo Tower in Downtown. Today Phoenix Corporate Center's tallest building is the 13th tallest building in Phoenix, 4th in Midtown alone, it also has top floor balconies for tenants on that floor.
A historic building in Essex, a civil war memorial, known early as being a Town Hall. This building now currently used as a community meeting house for events such as meetings, theatrical performances, activity groups, receptions, etc.
Montreal, QC, Canada
La Tour KPMG est le 8e plus haut gratte-ciel de Montréal. Il mesure 146 mètres. Il a été bâti en 1987 par la firme Menkès Shooner Dagenais Létourneux Architecte. Cet édifice a eu plusieurs nom : Place de la cathédrale, Tour KPMG, Maison des coopérants. Depuis 2006 son nom est Tour KPMG. Cet édifice contient dans son sous-sol un centre d'achat relié au Montréal souterrain. Lors de la construction de la galerie marchande au sous-sol on a dut faire reposer l'église Christ Church, construite au 18e siècle, sur des pilotis géants.
University of California, Berkeley
Walter A. Haas School of Business
The Haas School of Business is one of 14 schools and colleges at the University of California, Berkeley. Founded in 1898, it was the nation’s first college of commerce at a public university. It was renamed in 1989 in honor of Walter A. Haas, who graduated from the College of Commerce in 1910 and went on to be president and chairman of Levi Strauss & Company. The Haas School building, designed by the renowned architect Charles Moore, is a mini-campus of three connected buildings set around a central courtyard.
Built in 1938, the Tower Theatre is a Sacramento landmark. In 1972 the single screen auditorium was divided into three smaller ones. The exterior, however, has remained in its original form, including still-working multi-colored neon lights.Tower Drugs, located next door, is where retail giant Tower Records was born. The Tower Cafe exists next door and is a popular restaurant. Note - The theatre here is represented in its "daytime" form; it looks much different in the dark with its many glowing neon lights. For more info go to www.thetowertheatre.com
Connecticut Center for Advanced Technology Building
The Connecticut Center for Advanced Technology, Inc. provides services and resources to entrepreneurs and businesses, and through collaboration with industry, academia, and government, helps companies innovate and compete, thereby strengthening our nation in the global market.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
120 Adelaide Street West
e martë, 19 shkurt 2008
Here are the latest uploads to Google’s Cities in Development section of the 3D Warehouse since my last post.